. PSHEeducation | Life for killer who met boy online

This tragic case is one I have followed closely as I have run Cyber Safety sessions at Breck's local schools to both the pupils and parents following this tragic, tragic story. I hope this sends a strong message to all parents/carers/teachers to educate their children on the dangers of the online world and I highly admire his mother - Lorin Lafave for being so selfless and bringing this hugely important issue into the public eye.

Breck Bednar murder: Lewis Daynes sentenced to life in prison

A teenager has been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of a 14-year-old boy he met through online gaming.

Computer engineer Lewis Daynes, 19, will serve a minimum term of 25 years for fatally stabbing Breck Bednar in February 2014.

Chelmsford Crown Court heard he lured the teenager, who lived in Surrey, to his flat in Grays, Essex, after months of talking online.

The murder had a sexual motive, the court heard.

Sentencing Daynes, of Rosebery Road, Grays, Mrs Justice Cox said: "Having lured the young victim to your flat, you murdered him.

"You had befriended Breck and a number of other adolescent friends through an online community.

"I'm sure that this murder was driven by sadistic or sexual motivation."

Speaking outside court, Lynn Harvey from the Crown Prosecution service described Daynes as a "controlling and manipulative individual".

After the sentencing, Breck's mother, Lorin LaFave, described her son's killer as a "vile menace".

"No amount of years behind bars will ever change the poisonous attitude and actions of a psychotic animal who can behave this way," she said.

"No amount of years will bring back the lovely boy taken from us."

A post-mortem examination found Daynes had slashed his victim's throat.

Lewis Daynes' 999 call has been released by Essex police

There was evidence of sexual activity between the two shortly before Breck was killed, prosecutor Richard Whittam QC told the court.

Shortly before the killing, Daynes bought duct tape, condoms and syringes online.

Chelmsford Crown Court heard Daynes had promised Breck "great wealth" through a fictional computer business.

They started talking on a gaming website in 2013, but friends and Breck's family suspected he was being controlled and manipulated by Daynes.

The pair exchanged a number of messages on social media and gaming conference call software "TeamSpeak".

The teenagers met face-to-face for the first time on 16 February, the evening before Breck was stabbed.

The next morning, Daynes called police and told them Breck had tried to take his own life, and in the struggle to save him, he had stabbed the schoolboy.

The nature of Breck's injuries meant death would have been "very rapid", Mr Whittam said... [BBC News Essex. 12.1.2015]